Great summer salad! Adapted from Lidia Bastianich’s Celebrate Like an Italian.
Panzanella with Shrimp and Fennel
- 1 1-2 day old bread cut into cubes, (about 6 cups)
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and slice thinly
- 1 bunch scallion, white and green parts chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced into half-moons
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled ad deveined
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet, and toast until crisp but not browned. About 7 minutes. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, fennel, scallions, and cucumber. Sprinkle the vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Toss well. Add the bread cubes, toss to soak in the vinegar. Drizzle with the 1/2 cup of olive oil. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to large skillet over high heat. Add the shrimp and season with salt. Cook until the shrimp is cooked through for about 3 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the salad and toss well.