Part 2 of my recipes from Wolfgang Puck series. Very easy recipe, I would start with the Chinois sauce since it needs and hour on the stove. Or you can make it a day ahead . Adapted from Adventures in the Kitchen by Wolfgang Puck.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup plum wine
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Chinois Rib Sauce
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup each diced yellow and red pepper
- 2 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup cashews and pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
Chinois Rib Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried chili pepper
Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and cook over medium-high heat until syrupy, for about and 1 hour. Refrigerate and cover till needed.
- In a skillet or wok heat the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and sear in the pan.. Deglaze the pan with the plum wine and stir in the garlic, ginger, and chili flakes.
- Pour in the stock and let it reduce by half until sauce thickens. Add the rib sauce, mushrooms, peppers, green onion and nuts. Cook for a few minutes more and season to taste.
Perfect recipe for entertaining! Can be made ahead of time. You can reheat the sauce while the shrimp fricadella are cooking. So delicious! Adapted from Adventures in the Kitchen by Wolfgang Puck.
Shrimp Fricadella with Dill and Caper Sauce
for the Fricadella
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup diced roasted yellow peppers
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound chopped uncooked shrimp, save the shells
- 1/4 chopped fresh dill
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup packed fresh bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- about 1 cup almond meal or fine bread crumbs
for the Dill and Caper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- reserved shrimp shells
- 3 or 4 sprigs of fresh dill
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- white pepper
for the salad
- 3 cups watercress or arugala
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and white pepper
- 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices sourdough bread
- Prepare the Fricadella. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, and sauté the onions and peppers until the onions are translucent. About 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and let cool.
- In a small sauce pan, bring the cream just to a boil and cool slightly. Add to the onion mixture and add the rest of the ingredients, except the almond meal. Mix well and form 6 4-inch oval patties. bread lightly on all sides with the almond meal or fine bread crumbs and refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare the dill sauce and caper sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Saute the shallots, shrimp shells, and dill sprigs for 2 minutes. Pour the wine and over high heat let it reduce by half. Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and vinegar. Strain into a clean pan and stir in the dill leaves, capers and mustard. Season to taste with salt and white pepper and keep warm.
- Prepare the salad. In a bowl, combine the salad greens with the fennel. When ready to serve, toss with oil and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a skillet large enough to hold the fricadella in 1 layer, heat 2 or 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Sauce the patties for 5 minutes on each side.
- Toast the bread. For the presentation, place 1 piece of bread on each plate. Arrange the salad on top and add the pattie. Spoon the sauce around the bread and drizzle over the fricadella.
It’s apple season! Whether you’ve got whole apples, apple cider, or apple butter on hand, I’ve got you covered with 10 recipes that feature our favorite fall fruit. This Goat Cheese Fritter and Apple Salad with Brown Sugar Pecans and Maple Vinaigrette is a hearty meal with enough components to make each bite interesting and […]10 Fall Recipes Featuring Apple — Vegetarian ‘Ventures
Here’s how to make the best shrimp boil! This easy meal of corn, potatoes and shrimp is perfect for a crowd. No plates required! Here’s a meal that’s special every time you serve it: a Shrimp Boil! This classic American seafood boil is one of our favorite meals to serve to a crowd because everyone…Classic Shrimp Boil — A Couple Cooks
Part 2 of my cooking with a Wok series. Adapted from Wok & Stir-Fry by Linda Doeser.
Rice Noodles with Beef and Black Bean Sauce
- 1 pound fresh rice noodles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 slices fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 8 ounces of mixed bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 12 ounces round steak, finely sliced against the grain
- 3 tablespoons fermented black beans, rinsed in warm water and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup broth or water
- 2 scallions, finely chopped for garnish
- 2 red chilies, seeded and finely diced for garnish
- Rinse the noodles under hot water and drain well. Heat half the oil in a wok. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and peppers. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remains oil to the wok, and add the sliced beef and black beans. Stir-fry for 5 minutes or until cooked.
- In a small bowl, blend soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili black bean sauce, and broth until smooth. Add the mixture to the wok. return the onion mixture back to the wok, and cook stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Add the noodles and mix lightly. Adjust the seasoning. Add the scallions and chilies for garnish and serve.
I found this amazing cookbook filled with wok recipes in a book sale. So on one of my recent trips to Chinatown, NYC, I invested in a good Wok. Adapted Wok & Stir-Fry by Linda Doeser. This is an easy and delicious recipe!
Stir-Fried Shrimp with Broccoli
- 8-ounces uncooked shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch paste
- 8 ounces broccoli
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, more if needed
- 1 scallion cut into short sections
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light fish stock
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- few drops sesame oil
- Cut each shrimp in half length-wise. Mix with a pinch of salt, teaspoon of rice wine, egg white, and cornstarch paste.
- Cut the broccoli into florets.
- Heat the oil in a wok, and stir-fry the shrimp for 30 seconds, or until pink. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain and set aside.
- Add the broccoli and the scallions, sir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the salt and sugar, followed by the shrimp and stock. Add the soy sauce and remaining wine. Blend well, then add the sesame oil and serve.
Delicious Italian comfort food! Recipe given to me by my Italian father-in-law.
- 02 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound sweet or hot Italian peppers, cut into chunks
- 3/4 pound chicken tenders, cut into chunks
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red, 1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into chunks
- 1 small eggplant, cut into chunks
- small handful of kalamata olives
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the sausage until golden brown. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, and add to the skillet. Cook until brown but not cooked through. Set aside to a dish.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and cook the onions, peppers, garlic, alt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes. Add the zucchini and squash. Add the back the chicken and sausage.
- Add the tomatoes and olives, Cover and cook on low heat for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- Garnish with basil and serve over pasta.
Part 2 of my mac and cheese recipe. I opted for the 5 cheese combination that’s mentioned at the end of the recipe. It was amazing! Get recipe here.Creamy Homemade Baked Mac and Cheese — the fashionista cook