Part 2 of my great vegetable side series!
Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- 3 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, and extra to butter dish
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Boil the Brussels sprouts in salted water for about 5 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and run under cold water to cool. spread over paper towels in a single layer and dry completely.
- Cook the garlic in butter over medium heat until fragrant, 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour, cook whisking for 1 minute. Slowly wish in the half-and-half. Simmer whisking often, until thickened, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in the 1 1/4 cup of grated Gruyere cheese. Fold in the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Top with the 3/4 cup of grated Gruyere cheese. Bake at 375F degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly and golden brown. Let it stand for about 5 minutes before serving.