Wearing tweed with toes in the sand rather than in pumps. That is the evolution of fabric iconized by Chanel since its genesis in 1924. Chanel commissioned dresses and suits to be fashioned in the fabric from a Scottish factory which gave the look a more traditional Scottish countryside aesthetic, according to Elle. Since then, […]
For those who love Lidia Bastianich’s Chicken Drumsticks with Peppers and Paprika, this recipe is for you! Very similar in cooking style. Adapted from Lidia’s Celebrate Like an Italian.
Italian Chicken Stir-Fry
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup fava beans, thawed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 sounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- all purpose flour for dredging
- 8 ounces of chicken livers, trimmed of all fat an cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet;et, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and the peppers, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss and cook until t he onions are golden, about 4 minutes. Add the peas and favas, toss and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Transfer to large roasting pan.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of oil to the pan. Add garlic until it sizzles. Add the mushrooms and thyme. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cook until the the mushrooms liquid has reduced and the mushrooms are browned, for about 5 minutes. Add to the roasting pan.
- In the same skillet add, heat 2 more tablespoons of olive oil. Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and add to the skillet. Brown all over for about 3 minutes. Add to the roasting pan.
- Spread some flour on a plate. Return the skillet to the heat, and ad remains oil. Season the chicken livers with salt and dredge lightly in the flour. Brown all over, about 2 minutes. Add to the roasting pan. Give everything a toss and roast in the oven till browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Great recipe for a week night! Quick and easy. Adapted from Lidia’s Celebrate Like an Italian.
Lemony Shrimp Over Zucchini
For the Zucchini
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium zucchini, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Shrimp
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1 cup dry white wine
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoon bread crumbs
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, season with salt and red pepper flakes. Cook until the zucchini begins to wilt, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the dried oregano and remove from heat. Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat olive oil in another large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and season with salt. Sear quickly on each side, about 1 minute per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add butter to the pan and add the garlic, cook till sizzling, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, lemon zest, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add the shrimp back into the pan and sprinkle with bread crumbs to thicken the sauce. Serve over the zucchini.[/recipe-direction]
So healthy! I substituted the bulgar with Quinoa and instead of drizzling olive oil over it I drizzled pomegranate molasses.
Get recipe here.
Delicious and so easy! Refreshing for summer dinners. Adapted from Cuba, the cookbook.
Tropical Fish Fillets
- 4 fish fillets (swordfish, red snapper or any fresh water fish)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- about 12 ounces of sliced pineapple, diced
- about 12 ounces of diced papaya
- 8 orange supremes
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- all-purpose flour for dredging
- In a dish, combine the fish, salt , pepper, lime juice, parsley, and scallions. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- In a medium frying pan, melt the butter and 1/2 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the pineapple, papaya, orange supremes, orange juice, wine, and sugar. Cook for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Dredge the fish in flour. Ina medium pan heat the remains oil over medium-high heat. Cook the fish till browned, about 4 minutes on each side. Serve with the fruit sauce.
The fashionista cook turns 4! It was another exciting year with over 2,000 followers and new changes.
Welcome to my new page, Fashion Finds.
Stay tuned for more exciting recipes and fashion! Thank you for following.
Part 2 of my Cuban salad series. Fantastic hearty salad with chicken and rice! Great for outdoor parties or picnics. I omitted the toasted sesame seeds, for personal taste. Adapted from Cuba, the cookbook. Recipe invented by Vivian Costa Leal, a Cuban housewife.
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely cooked chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup or more mayonnaise
- Roast the peppers over an open flame or broiler. Place in a bowl fuller ice water. Peel off the skin, and cut into strips. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the onions and vinegar. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium fry pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes till the garlic is fragrant. Stir in salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine half the peppers and the rest of the ingredients. Salt to taste. Use the remaining peppers to decorate the top. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
A staple served at parties. This isn’t my great aunt’s version but close. Adapted from Cuban Chicks Can Cook, by Ana Quincoces Rodriquez
Cuban Chicken Salad
- 1 whole roasted chicken shredded without skin
- 4 large peeled red potatoes, cubed into 1-inch pieces and boiled till tender
- 1 large green apple peeled and finely chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 hard boiled eggs, 3 finely chopped, use 1 for decoration
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1 cup canned asparagus tips, reserve 2 tablespoons liquid
- 1 small can diced pimentos, reserve 2 tablespoons liquid
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, reserved pea and pimento liquid, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chicken, I used my hands. Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise if necessary.
- You can decorate the top with slices of egg, any left over pimento pieces, peas or asparagus.