Part 2 of my Cuban salad series. Fantastic hearty salad with chicken and rice! Great for outdoor parties or picnics. I omitted the toasted sesame seeds, for personal taste. Adapted from Cuba, the cookbook. Recipe invented by Vivian Costa Leal, a Cuban housewife.
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely cooked chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup or more mayonnaise
- Roast the peppers over an open flame or broiler. Place in a bowl fuller ice water. Peel off the skin, and cut into strips. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the onions and vinegar. Let marinate for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium fry pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes till the garlic is fragrant. Stir in salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine half the peppers and the rest of the ingredients. Salt to taste. Use the remaining peppers to decorate the top. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Pingback: Cuban Rice Salad (Ensalada de Arroz) – the fashionista cook