This is an easy chicken recipe that can be easily doubled, depending on the number of people. The red onions gives it a bit of sweetness while, the feta gives it a creamy texture which goes nicely with pasta noodles. This was on Diane Kochilas’s new show My Greek Table. I found a similar recipe on her website but it looks like she made some changes. Here is that website.. Diane Kochilas
There’s not a lot of measurements given on the show, so I tried to provide you with some as best as I could. Enjoy!
Spartan Chicken over Noodles
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces or thighs and legs
- 3 large red onions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons Greek extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned tomatoes, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place in the pan and brown the chicken pieces on each side. Set aside.
- Add the red onions and cook until translucent. Add garlic, and cook for another minute or two.
- Place the chicken back into the pan. Add wine, tomatoes, and water. Lower the heat to low and cover. Simmer for 40 to 50 minutes. Checking for tenderness.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in salted boiling water.
- Once the chicken is tender, add vinegar, cheese, oregano and olives. Cover and simmer for a few minutes more.
- Serve over the noodles.