A hearty vegetable soup! Adapted from Lidia Bastianich Celebrate Like an Italian.
Corn and Zucchini Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/4-inch diced
- 2 stalks celery, cu into 1/4-inch diced
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 4 ears corn, kennels removes, cobs reserved
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch half-moons
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup pesto
- grated cheese for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the potatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to stick to the bottom of the pan. About 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and leeks. Cook until the leeks start to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add 10 to 12 cups of cold water. [depends how thick you want the soup]
- Add the bay leaves, red pepper flakes, salt, and reserved corn cobs. Cook to rapid simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and green beans, and cook simmering rapidly, until the potatoes begin to fall apart. For about an hour, the soup will start to thicken.
- Remove the bay leaves and corn cobs. Add the rice and corn kernels. Stir in the pesto and season with salt to taste.
- Add to soup bowls, drizzle with olive oil and grated cheese.