Great side dish for your holiday table! Adapted from Bon Appetit Christmas.
Butternut Squash, Apple and Onion Casserole
- 1-pound butternut squash
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1 pound onions, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3/4 pound Granny-Smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 fresh breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated sharp-cheddar cheese
- 6 lean bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 13 x 6-inch oval baking dish.
- Peel butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and stringy portion. Thinly slice it crosswise.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add the onions. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Toss the apples with the flour in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the the squash in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half the apples. Arrange the remaining squash over the apples. Top with the remaining apples. Top with the onions. Pour the stock over the dish.
- Bake until squash is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and bacon in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the dish, and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Broil until the top turns brown. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.