Great way to serve vegetables! Easy and delicious! Adapted from the Vermont Non-GMO Cookbook by Tracey Medeiros.
Cheesy Veggie Pasta Bake
- 1 pound mini shell pasta
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/4 cup milk, warmed
- 1 head Broccoli florets cut into bite-size
- 3 large kale leaves, sliced
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 10 minutes. Drain, return to pot, and toss with olive oil. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking make the cheese sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook, whisking often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Whisking continuously, slowly adding the milk, until the sauce thick and bubbling. Add the Broccoli and kale and continue to cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Take off heat and using an hand blender, puree the vegetables. until smooth. Add 2 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, and mustard. Whisk until cheese melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and blend well. Pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheddar cheese and Parmigiano-Reggiano over the top. Bake uncovered for abut 25 minutes, until bubbly. Let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.