A creamy soup without the cream! Adapted from Fresh Fish by Jennifer Trainer Thompson.
Creamy Asparagus Soup with Bay Scallops and Frizzled Leeks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 12 pounds asparagus, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, 1 cut into 1-inch rounds, white and green parts, reserve the 1 leeks for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups baby spinach
- vegetable oil
- 16 bay scallops
- Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the asparagus, leeks, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, thyme, and then add the stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a medium-low, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook for another few minutes. Transfer to a blender or using a hand blender puree till smooth. Keep warm in the pot.
- For the garnish, slice the leek into thin rounds, separating the rings. pour vegetable oil into a small skillet and fry the leeks into a golden brown, Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle light with salt.
- Dry the scallops and season with salt and pepper. In a skillet add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Cook the scallops, turning until cooked through and golden. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with scallops and leeks.