Chocolate therapy! This was quite easy and delicious. I didn’t have a 9 x 13 pan, as the recipe stated, I used an 8 x 8 which increased the baking time to an hour.
It also makes a great dessert for the holidays! Adapted from Make it Ahead by Ina Garten.
Chocolate Cake with Mocha Frosting
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup hottest tap water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 2/3 cup half-and-half
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Kahlua
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan. Line with parchment paper, then ease and flour.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until fluffy. Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, until batter is smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. In an another bowl whisk together the hot water, cocoa powder, and espresso powder until smooth. Add the half-and-half and whisk till smooth. With the mixture on low speed add the flour and chocolate mixer, alternate in thirds, starting and ending with flour. Mix thoroughly.
- Pour into cake pan, smooth top and bake in oven for about 30 minutes.
- place the chocolate, butter, and espresso powder in a bowl. Heat the cream to a simmer and pour over the chocolate mixture. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Stir in the Khalua and vanilla.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Beat the frosting with a hand held electric mixer over high speed for no more than 15 to 20 seconds or it will curdle. Spread evenly over cake.