This took some time to make, but it was delicious! Part 2 of my recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.
Coq Au Vin
- 4 ounces bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 3 cups full-bodied red wine
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 12 to 24 brown-braised small onions, can be canned or jared
- 1/2 pound sautéed mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- Cut the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Simmer in a quart of water for 10 minutes. rinse with cold water and dry.
- Sauté the bacon slowly i hot butter until lightly brown. Remove to a side dish.
- dry the chicken and brown in the bacon fat, Season. Return the bacon to the skillet. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, turning the chicken once.
- Uncover and pour in the cognac. Averting the face ignite the cognac with a match. Shake the pan several times until the flames subside.
- Pour the wine into the skillet, and add just enough stock to cover the chicken. Stir in the tomato paste, garlic, and herbs. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for about 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the onions and mushrooms.
- If using canned onions, drain and dry in boiling water for 1 minute to take away the canned taste. The sauté them with 2 tablespoons of butter and 1/4 cup of beef stock, for about 15 minutes. Season to taste. Shake the pan often.
- In a 10-inch skillet heat 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. As soon it starts to sizzle sauté the mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Season to taste. Shaking the pan often.
- Remove the chicken aside onto a dish. Bring the liquid to a boil to reduce to about 2 to 3 cups. Correct seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Blend the softened butter with the flour, until it forms a paste. Beat the paste into the liquid using a wire whip. Bring to a simmer, the sauce should be thickening. Simmer for a few minutes. Bring back the chicken, basting it with the sauce. Place the mushrooms and onions in pan. Cover and simmer for a few more minutes to heat through. Serve.