Great soup for a cold winter day! Delicious with simple ingredients. Adapted from Bistro Cooking by Patricia Wells.
Leek and Potato Soup
- 5 pounds leeks
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces of slab bacon, cubed
- 2 pounds boiling potatoes , peeled and cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim off the roughest green portion of the leeks and discard. Rinse well. then dry, slice both white and green part into thin slices.
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the bacon, reduce the heat, and brown thoroughly. Add the leeks and the potatoes and toss and coat with the bacon fat. Cook until the leeks are wilted and softened.
- Add 2 quarts of cold water and salt. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit for an hour, to mingle all the flavors.
- To serve, bring the soup back to a simmer.