A vegetarian meal or a great appetizer! Part 2 of my recipes adapted from Lidia’s Celebrate Like an Italian by Lidia Bastianich.
Portobellos Stuffed with Quinoa and Kale
- 7 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 2 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 5-ounce box baby kale
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Grana Padana cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, coarsely chopped
- 6 portobello mushrooms, gills scraped and stems removed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 chicken stock
- 4-ounce log goat cheese, cut into slices
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and the garlic to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the garlic is sizzling, add the kale and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally until the kale is wilted, and the liquid in the pan has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Let cool and coarsely chop the kale.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, quinoa, bread crumbs, grated cheese, and pine nuts. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and toss well to combine.
- Drizzle the mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt. Divide the stuffing among the mushrooms and place on a rimmed sheet pan. Pour the wine and chicken stock in the pan. Drizzle olive oil over the mushrooms. Let with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Uncover, and top each mushroom with a slice of goat cheese. Bake for another 20 minutes.