A staple served at parties. This isn’t my great aunt’s version but close. Adapted from Cuban Chicks Can Cook, by Ana Quincoces Rodriquez
Cuban Chicken Salad
- 1 whole roasted chicken shredded without skin
- 4 large peeled red potatoes, cubed into 1-inch pieces and boiled till tender
- 1 large green apple peeled and finely chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 hard boiled eggs, 3 finely chopped, use 1 for decoration
- 3/4 cup peas
- 1 cup canned asparagus tips, reserve 2 tablespoons liquid
- 1 small can diced pimentos, reserve 2 tablespoons liquid
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, reserved pea and pimento liquid, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chicken, I used my hands. Add remaining ingredients. Toss well.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise if necessary.
- You can decorate the top with slices of egg, any left over pimento pieces, peas or asparagus.