I call this the cousin of the Cuban dish, Ropa Vieja. It’s primarily same, minus the tomato sauce. Adapted from Cuban Chicks Can Cook by Ana Quincoces Rodriquez.
- 2lbs flank steak
- 1/2 cup sour orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large stockpot, bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil. Add the flank steak and bay leaf. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 2 hours.
- Remove the beef from the water and let cool. Shred the beef by hand working with the grain. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper, sour orange and lime juices. Let it marinate for 30 minutes. Drain any excess juice.
- In a large hot cast iron skillet, heat half the oil over medium heat. Add half the beef, onions and garlic. Stir frequently for about 10 minutes or until crispy . Set aside and repeat with the other half.