Found this great little cookbook while visiting New Brunswick, Canada this month. We got the chance to have lunch in the quaint coastal town of Fundy, known for the fish chowder. I believe this may be the recipe. It is absolutely delicious! The directions does state to put all the ingredients together at the same time however, I cooked the onions and vegetables first before putting in the fish.
Adapted from Flavors of New Brunswick from Karen Powell.
Fundy Fish Chowder
- 2 pounds while fish, cubed
- 1/2 pounds salmon, cubed
- 1 cup baby clams, canned with juice
- 1 cup baby shrimp, canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup red pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, minced
- 1 cup celery, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/8 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Place all ingredients in a deep pot. Simmer over low heat for about an hour, stirring often.