Great recipe if you’re entertaining! Adapted from Ina Garten’s Make it Ahead cookbook. It can be refrigerated up to 6 hours, just finish baking it before serving.
- 5 to 6 small zucchini, trimmed (1 1/2 pound total)
- olive oil
- 1 cup (1/2 inch diced) sourdough bread, crust removed
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes (2 tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Bring to a boil a large pot of water. Add the zucchini and simmer until tender. Remove the zucchini to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside to cool. Cut the zucchini length-wise and scoop out the seeds. Set aside with side down on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small pan. Add the bread cubes, and cook over medium-low heat for a about 5 minutes.. Tossing frequently until golden brown. Transfer to a medium bowl. In the same pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil, add the scallions, tomatoes, thyme, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, tossing frequently. Add to the bowl with the bread cubes. Add the Parmesan, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Toss gently.
- Place the zucchini snugly in a 10 x 14-inch baking pan, in 1 layer and cut side up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Fill the zucchini with the bread mixture. Sprinkle with the Gruyere. Bake for 10 to 12 minute or lightly browned.