Comfort food! Great dish for a cold and snowy day. Another great recipe from Lidia Bastianich’s show, Lidia’s Kitchen. I have provided a recipe below with a good guess on the measurements. It can easily be cut in half for 4 servings as I had to.
Layered Beef, Cabbage, and Potato Casserole
For the pestata:
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary needles
- olive oil
For the casserole:
- 3 to 4 pound beef, shoulder cut
- 3 pounds red potato, sliced
- head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups or more of Fontina cheese, grated
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of white wine
- Place the garlic, sage, rosemary and salt in a food processor. Drizzle the olive oil while processing. Should look like a pesto sauce.
- Slice the beef into 1-inch slices, and place in a bowl.
- Slice the potatoes with skin on, into 1/4 inch slices. Place in a separate bowl.
- Shred the cabbage and place in another bowl.
- Pour half the pestata in the beef, making sure each slice has marinate. Add salt.
- Pour the rest onto the potatoes, making sure all slices are marinated. Add salt.
- Layer half the potaotes in a buttered casserole. Layer haf the cabbage on top. Layer all the meat on top. Add the rest of the potaotes. And then add the rest of the cabbage. Pour the white wine over. Cover with foil and bake in a 375F degree oven for about 2 hours or more. Check for meat tenderness.
- Uncover and cover the top with the cheese. Place back in the oven uncovered. Bake for another 30 minutes or until the cheese is all melted and browned.