This recipe was adapted from Fresh Fish by Jennifer Trainer Thompson. I substituted the Chourico (a smoked Portuguese sausage) for chorizo, a spicier sausage, that I happened to already have in my fridge.
Clams with Chorizo and Kale
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1/2 small onion finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 cup diced chorizo
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale, stems removed, lightly packed
- 1 cup clam broth
- 20 clams
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chorizo, and kale. Toss to coat with the oil, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the clam broth and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the kale is tender. Add the clams and cover. Cook until the clams open for about 5 to 8 minutes. Discard any that did not open Spoon over bowls and serve with crusty bread.