Afternoon Tea at The Connaught hotel in Mayfair, London was one of the best afternoons we had on our honeymoon. The hotel, the food, the view of Mayfair, and the impeccable service! A wonderful experience, that I try to recreate on most afternoons. Not as grandeur as in London, but a cup of tea and a snack takes me back there.
Banana and Ginger Teabread
- 1 1/2 cup of self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/3 cup of muscovado sugar
- 1/3 cup of ginger, chopped
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 ripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line a 1 pound loaf pan. Sift the four and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients in the bowl until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar. Add the milk and the chopped ginger. Mash the bananas and mix into the contents of the bowl. Mix together until a soft dough is formed.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Serve slice, spread with butter.