Summer has officially started! Time for those backyard barbecues. This was a delicious salad to be served along with any grilled meats. This is courtesy of Alexandra Stratou, editor in chief of Gourmed, a Mediterranean food website.
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- One 16-ounce package of dried black-eyed peas
- sat and pepper
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of white vinegar
- 7 ounces of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped parsley
Boil the peas in salted water for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the water turns a dark grey. Drain well, then add the peas back to the pot with fresh water to cover. Bring to a boil, add salt and simmer to the peas are soft.
Drain the peas and place in a bowl. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once cool, add the scallions, tomatoes, parsley,(reserve some for garnish) , olive oil, vinegar and pepper to taste. ( I mixed the oil and vinegar together and then poured over the peas) Mix together well. Add the feta and the extra parsley.